I’ve gone through
approximately 6 flight safety briefings now. They are all the same, pull out
your safety vest from under the seat in case of an emergency, make sure you
attend to yourself before helping others, be sure to take note when the
emergency sign is on, please be aware of the emergency exits… I always listen
to them, yknow, just in case. Just in case this is my last flight, just in case
I forget how to inflate my life jacket, just in case I lose sight of the exit. The
other people on the plane who bother listening, like me, are paranoid.
Beady-eyed, strained necks, squinting to catch the stewardess’ demonstration on
the screen. But really, what if? What if I never got to see how beautiful
Mykonos was in the dusk light, what if I never got to walk under the azures of
Dubrovnik filled with swallows, what if I never got to feel tiny under the
ancient walls of the magnificent Colosseum, what if I never got to bask in the
warm sunlight with Amsterdam’s canals beside me? I breathe every moment with
thanksgiving and humility here. I feel smaller and weaker everyday, but in a
good way. In a way that makes it easier to believe, to trust. The world is very
large and very small. Can’t wait to be part of her every moment.
Sunday, August 26
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
ReplyDelete-Mark Twain